Anderson, Walter G. and Doris

Written by Linda Kirkpatrick on .

Doris Anderson 1926 - 2006

Moved to Evergreen in 1950 from Illinois after graduating from Decatur University with a degree in comparison shopping.  Worked at the Hamilton Tea Room (located in the former Evergreen Crafters building) to pay off her college debts.  Lived in the Evergreen Hotel next to the Little Bear before marrying Walt.  In the early years, Doris served as a dispatcher for the Evergreen Fire Department and later worked as the bookkeeper of Anderson's Mountain Market.

Walt Anderson 1925-2010

Born on the 160-acre Anderson Ranch in the Upper Bear Creek area that had been in the family since 1895. Blind in one eye from a childhood accident. Had a towing business, delivered fuel throughout the mountain area, and loved to plow snow. He and his wife of 56 years and their children owned and operated a much-loved business in Evergreen -- Anderson's Mountain Market (1976 - 2000) – located on Hwy. 73 between Brook Forest Road and Buffalo Park Road.

The business started out as Walt Anderson Oil Co., a shoebox operation, in that it did not have a cash register, and two of the pumps were on the honor system! In addition to providing gasoline and basic provisions for area residents, it was a popular and safe hangout for high school students.  It attracted customers of all ages because of the way clientele were treated; customers liked the community feel and doing business with people they'd known for so long.  At its peak, Anderson's Mountain Market was doing $11,000/day in business.

When the store earned the Small Business of the Year award in 1990, the Andersons were described as “a couple who have always been there when the community needed them.” Walt was a founding member of Evergreen Volunteer Fire Department; served as chief twice. Longtime member of Evergreen Kiwanis Club. Known for his coveralls and love for and support of Evergreen in so many ways.

Source:  Jodey Anderson; Evergreen, Our Mountain Community